Laser Dentistry in Germantown, MD
It is our standard practice at Family & Cosmetic Dentistry of Maryland to use lasers during treatment. And, our family dentist is now using more advanced technology, which greatly benefits our patients. For laser dentistry in Germantown, MD, rely on Dr. Peter McConnell. We are making use of new technology to provide our patients with pain-free dental laser treatment.
Practicing Powerlase® Dentistry
We have recently switched from Powerlase® technology to our new Powerlase® AT laser. The Powerlase is two lasers in one, allowing the lasers to perform both soft and hard tissue procedures with speed and accuracy never before experienced in the world of laser dentistry.
Hard-tissue cutting speeds are comparable to a high-speed hand piece without anesthesia and are 220% faster than the standard Powerlase® laser. This technology dramatically reduces patient sensitivity, which allows us to perform a wide range of laser dental surgeries on teeth, gum, and bone more comfortably. Typically, Powerlase® treatments use fewer shots and less anesthesia, reducing patient anxiety and providing a more relaxing dental experience.
Powerlase® is a versatile tool that allows dentists to cut teeth, bone, and gum tissue with less trauma and perform procedures that can’t be done with traditional tools, such as the drill and scalpel. Our Powerlase® dentist will determine what type of treatment is appropriate for your needs.
Proven Technology, Comfortable Care
Lasers have long been the standard of care in medicine for many surgical and cosmetic procedures such as LASIK, wrinkle removal, hair removal, and many others. The dental laser was approved for hard-tissue procedures in 1998 and since has been cleared for numerous additional dental procedures. Thousands of dentists around the world have performed millions of procedures with less need for shots, anesthesia, drills, and post-op numb lips.
Benefiting Our Patients
In the end, the field of dentistry is all about the patient – for new technology to gain rapid and widespread acceptance, the patient must benefit. Here’s how our patients benefit from laser dental surgery:
- Fear of Needles – The best-performing dental lasers can be used to do almost all common-cavity preparation procedures without the need for patient anesthesia. Patients don’t like injections, even when they don’t hurt.
- Dislike of Numbness – Patients prefer not to become numb or leave the dental practice numb after a procedure. And, many patients feel anxious from physiological reactions to commonly used anesthetics. A high-performance dental laser eliminates this negative.
- Dislike of Drill Noise & Vibration – High-speed, hand-piece cavity preparation involves significant objectionable noise and vibration for patient, and they dislike this. The sound of a laser is not objectionable, and no vibration is transmitted to the patient as the tip of the laser never even needs to contact the tooth.
- One-Stop Shopping – General dentists find that ownership of a good quality laser with soft-tissue surgery capability allows them to perform a good number of soft-tissue procedures more simply, with little or no bleeding post-operative. This is due to a laser’s ability to coagulate as it cuts and results in fewer referrals to specialists. Patients prefer to have their dental procedures performed by the general dentist they know and trust and dislike having to transfer to a strange specialist. In addition, many soft-tissue laser procedures can be performed without anesthetic.
- Preservation of Healthy Tooth Structure – In general, cavity preparations performed with lasers preserve more healthy tooth structure, while avoiding the micro-cracking of healthy enamel associated with the use of dental handpieces.
- Less Post-Operative Discomfort – Many laser procedures result in less post-operative discomfort for the patient.
- Better Overall Care – Equipped with laser technology, our dentist is armed with more and better treatment options than without a laser, resulting in delivery of the very best, state-of-the-art care possible for the patient.
The positive impact of these benefits on the patient experience is dramatic. This is why our practice provides laser dentistry for our patients.
Contact us today to enjoy the benefits of laser dentistry during treatment. We proudly serve patients in Germantown, Gaithersburg, Clarksburg, Boyds, Bethesda, Potomac and Frederick Maryland, as well as Montgomery County.